Instructions to Submitters
- To submit your abstract please click here.
- Every user MUST begin by creating a new account in the abstract system
- Ensure all email addresses are correct.
- If you need technical or association assistance, please use the email support form on each page.
- Once you are complete, please click on ‘finalize submission’ on the final page to complete your submission.
- Revisit the site as often as necessary to complete your submission.
- The back and forward browser arrows have been disabled; please use the menu progress bar at the top right hand corner of the pages to return to previous pages.
- Users must use the following browsers: Internet Explorer 8+, Mozilla Firefox 4+, Safari 5+, Chrome 14+, Opera 11.5+
Note on email communications: Please add @owpm.net as a safe sender in your email program. If you do not do this, your email spam filter may prevent you from receiving important emails regarding your submission(s). For more information on adding safe senders for your mail server, click here.
Participants interested in presenting data should submit abstracts online by 8 March 2018. Abstracts are subject to acceptance by the Scientific Committee. Once accepted, abstracts will be published in a supplement of Annals of Oncology and scheduled for oral or poster presentation. Acceptance notifications and guidelines for poster presentation will be sent on 6 April 2018. Authors of accepted abstracts who have not registered will have until 3 May 2018 to do so at the early registration rate. After this date, abstracts without registered presenters will be disregarded and not included in the publication.
Abstracts will be accepted in the following categories, and the author should indicate it as either BASIC or CLINICAL by checking the appropriate box in the online submission system:
- Colon Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Gastric Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
Trials in Progress Abstract Submissions
The 20th ESMO World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer is now accepting Trials in Progress abstract submissions in all phases of clinical research (phase I to phase III). All abstracts submitted as Trials in Progress are ongoing trials that have not reached any protocol-specific endpoint for analysis and will only require the completion of two sections: Background and Trial Design. It is a requirement that recruitment must have already begun or have been completed by the abstract submission deadline.
- Follow the online instructions
- Abstracts must be written in English
- The submitted work must not, nor will not have been:
- Published in any journal, or on any web site before 20 June 2018, nor
- Presented at any national or international scientific conference prior to 20 June 2018
- Abstract body must have a 500 word count limit
- Use a concise title
- List affiliations of author(s) as briefly as possible, with city, province/state and country
- Use standard and well-accepted abbreviations
- When using references, use standard and well-accepted formats
- Abstract content should be single-spaced and typed in lower case
- Abstracts shall be of original research and contain a concise statement of study aim
- Submit four (4) parts of your abstract: Background, Method, Results, and Conclusion(s). Conclusions must be supported by your results and summarized within your abstract at the time of submission. Results “to be completed” and/or conclusions “to be discussed” are not acceptable.
Developing Nations Travel Awards
A limited number of travel awards are available for investigators from developing nations. Awards are available to investigators from the countries indicated in the 2017 World Bank List of Economies as Low-Income or Lower Middle Income Economies. The complete list can be found at http://www.worldbank.org.
These awards will consist of Congress registration and a grant in the amount of €2000 to cover airfare and hotel, given to the recipient at the Congress. Airfare can be purchased by Imedex and deducted from this amount, if needed. If you have questions about this information, please contact Imedex.
How to Apply for Developing Nations Travel Awards:
- The candidate must submit an abstract to the ESMO 20th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer in the usual manner, indicating that the abstract is to be considered for the Developing Nations Award
- The candidate must be the first author of the submitted abstract
- The work must not have been presented or published before the date of the ESMO 20th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Abstracts must be submitted on schedule
- Candidates should submit:
- An extended abstract
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A 1-3 page description of their interests and current research in gastrointestinal cancer signed and approved by their department chair
The Scientific Committee will select the award winners on the basis of the scientific content of the abstract. Winners will be notified in April 2018. No additional grants are offered by the Congress
Late-Breaking Abstract Submissions
The Congress late-breaking policy allows the submission of late-breaking abstracts that include results of phase III studies or potentially practice-changing results for which no preliminary data are available at the time of the abstract submission deadline.
An abstract template should be submitted by the regular abstract deadline (8 March). The template should include: title, author list, and a description of the study. A final abstract version must be submitted by 17 May and will be published in a supplement of the Annals of Oncology. Once the final version is available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide you with late-breaking abstract submission instructions.
Changes to Abstracts
Even after finalizing, you may change your abstract up until the submission deadline of 8 March 2018 at 16:00 CET. Once the submission site has closed on 8 March 2018 changes to abstracts will NOT be accepted.
Important Abstract Dates
|Abstract Submission Deadline||8 March 2018 at 16:00 CET|
|Abstract Notifications Mailed||6 April 2018|
|Presentation Details Mailed||26 April 2018|
|Abstract Presenter Registration Deadline||3 May 2018|
|Late-Breaking Abstract Deadline||17 May 2018|